HARRISBURG, Pa., September 4, 2013 – Since the release of the first smartphone, app markets have been crafted and molded to better suit the customer. Currently, the Android and iPhone platforms are the top smartphone markets in the world – dominating and thriving by helping users interact with their business affairs and other pursuits.
BlackBerry, the platform and company formerly known as Research in Motion (RIM)—once the innovator in business phones—has fallen significantly short of its goals in the app market due to the high success and productivity already available via the competing iOS and Android platforms.
But as most professionals in the marketing and sales worlds will tell you, “the trend is your friend.” The more popular and innovative phone operating systems will tend to attract customers from other systems. As such, many business owners and business-savvy people have switched from the BlackBerry environment to the more widely popular environments underpinning iPhones and Droid manufacturers.
But many of these customers still find themselves asking, “What apps can I use to make this phone more useful to my needs?” Here are a few ideas.
One of the most popular apps for business-savvy individuals is Evernote. This company began as a web-based app and transformed itself into a successful iOS and Android app.
Intertwining all accounts into one, users can capture ideas, pictures and thoughts and later access them from the web, tablet or phone.
The makers of Evernote also offer the following apps:
- Skitch – Lets users make annotations and draw shapes or sketches on pictures or videos, helping draw attention to specific information.
- Penultimate – If a user needs to or prefers do write down a lot of information in one sitting–secretaries and executive assistants come to mind—then this app works perfectly for iPads. Using a pen to handwrite information on the tablet to be saved for later use, customers can easily file and relocate written files at any time.
- Evernote Hello – Businesspeople tend to meet many new faces every single day. This app will help users remember names easily by storing them in the device for later recall.
- Evernote Food – Remembering food items from menus across the world has never been so easy.
- Evernote Clearly – When reading an article, blog post or webpage, users all have their own individual annotation preferences. Evernote Clearly lets users make the post their own, offering fonts, point sizes and picture locations geared toward making posts easier for them to read and reference.
- Evernote Peek – Preparing for a business meeting or work presentation? Evernote Peek will help students and workers alike by turning notes, images and audio material into a formidable study guide.
- Evernote Web Clipper – Specifically for saving webpages, Evernote Web Clipper helps users organize and search through permanently saved webpages.
Wi-Fi Finder helps business people connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot or location in no time. While phones are convenient, there is still a need for laptops when greater computing power and storage is a requirement. Business professionals needing to use their laptops in unfamiliar areas can access Wi-Fi finder to locate nearby Wi-Fi connections. This is especially useful for companies whose employees are frequently working outside the office. Example: Haller Enterprises, whose employees could use the app to find Wi-Fi when out on assignment fixing electrical or plumbing issues for their company’s customers.
Business accounting can be hectic. Merely dumping it in the lap of an accountant is not always the best solution, however. For business owners who want to supervise corporate finances directly, Xero could be the answer. This app allows users to link up with banks, customers and online payment centers to monitor budget reports and spending levels.
Xero is available for a monthly fee currently running between $19 and $39 as of August 14, 2013.
Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock
Business professionals and road warriors alike often work early mornings and late nights. Sleep can be minimal in stressful times, averaging three to four hours on the average weekday. Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock makes waking up much easier.
Sleep Cycle monitors a person’s sleep patterns and wakes users up when they are at their lightest level of sleep. Studies have shown that individuals who awaken from light sleep will be more refreshed and ready to tackle the day than those suddenly aroused from deeper sleep levels.
Being late to work will never happen—or rarely happen—with this app close at hand.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.