NEW YORK, July 10, 2012 — It’s a marathon match made in running heaven. Runner’s World magazine and runDisney announced Monday that the 20th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend will become part of the Runner’s World Challenge series.
The event will run from Jan. 12-13, 2013 and includes the Walt Disney World Marathon, Walt Disney World Half Marathon and Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge, where participants run both the half marathon on Saturday and the full marathon on Sunday.
“The opportunity for our runners to have personal access to some of the leading minds in the running industry through the Runner’s World Challenge is going to be hugely beneficial to anyone running our half marathon and marathon that weekend,’’ said Faron Kelley, Director of Sports Marketing and Communication at Walt Disney World.
The Runner’s World Challenge allows runners to virtually train with Runner’s World editors leading up to race weekend, and then enjoy an exclusive VIP running experience alongside the Runner’s World editors at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Fla.
“Our editors are already gearing up training plans, logging miles, and preparing for this unique event,” said David Willey Runner’s World Editor-in-Chief and Rodale Inc. Active Living Group General Manager. “As with all of the Runner’s World Challenges, our readers can count on receiving expert advice and personal engagement with our editors while training for this special weekend.”
Challengers will have exclusive access to a website where they can pose questions to Runner’s World editors. They’ll also share tips on nutrition, injury prevention, health issues and other essential training topics as they get ready to run Disney. Come race weekend, challengers will have the opportunity to run with RW editors.
The race package created for Runner’s World Challenge participants at the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend includes:
- Entry into the 20th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon, Half Marathon or Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge with preferred corral placement
- Three-night stay at Disney’s Yacht or Beach Club Resort
- Private packet pick-up and hospitality suite at the resort
- Keepsake 20th Anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon gift
- A Runner’s World Challenge tech shirt
- Course strategy session with Runner’s World experts and editors
- Exclusive shakeout run with the Runner’s World editors
- Entry to the Pasta in the Park Party on Saturday night Jan. 12 at Epcot® with Runner’s World VIPs & editors
- Private transportation to and from the start and finish lines
- Entry to the Race Retreat which includes pre and post race hot and cold beverages, dedicated stretching area, and private toilets & bag check, post-race buffet, massage and live results
- Post-race celebration on Sunday night at the Cool Down at Downtown Disney
The Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna runs from Jan. 10-13 and includes kids races, a family 5K, a health and fitness expo and more. It’s the marquee event in runDisney’s series of races that take runners through the Walt Disney World and Disneyland theme parks.
The 20th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Marathon will feature special entertainment at Mile 20, a new course that includes the Walt Disney World Speedway and Champion Stadium ballpark at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, in addition to miles through Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios theme parks, and a new post-race part in Downtown Disney.
Karla Bruning is a veteran journalist and running nerd. She has completed four marathons, two triathlons, trains with the New York Harriers and is a member of New York Road Runners. Follow Karla’s “Notes From a Running Nerd” at RunKarlaRun.com, Facebook and Twitter@KBruning.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.