SAN FRANCISCO, August 8, 2013 – Outside Lands music festival is only a few days away. For you wine and music lovers, this is your dream event. Here you can sample some of California’s best, and pair it all with the smoothest tunes during outside performances in iconic Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Here is this year’s must-taste list of wineries.
1. Robert Sinskey Vineyards, Napa Valley: Robert Sinskey is not new to the wine game; he’s been at it for over 25 years. Early on he did a stint in advertising. But luckily for wine lovers, it didn’t stick. To taste a Robert Sinskey wine at Outside Lands is a good thing; however, to experience a flight of their wines, in the place they were made can be a very enlightening experience. At Wine Lands you will be able to get a small sample of why Sinskey was named Sunset Magazine’s tasting room of the year, and Wine Spectator featured it as a must-visit winery in Napa Valley.
Music pairing: Undoubtedly they will be pouring some of their famed Cabernet Sauvignon. Some favorites include their Pinot Noir and Pinot Blanc. Whatever they are pouring, pair it with Paul McCartney on Friday night. Robert Sinskey is as vintage rock and roll as Sir Paul is.
2. Scribe, Sonoma: It doesn’t get more down home and rustic than a visit to Scribe. This is truly a hidden gem in Sonoma. There are literally hand made signs fixed along dirt roads to direct you to the tasting room of this well-concealed winery. It might have a feel of the beginning of some horror flick, but rest assured, the folks at Scribe are as nice as can be. Plus they have some tasty wines to experience. Wines they are most known for include Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah.
Music pairing: The Yeah Yeah Yeahs will go nicely with either their Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.
3. Tres Sabores, St. Helena, Napa Valley: This small, family-owned ranch is located in the western Rutherford area of Napa Valley, where they grow organically certified Zinfandel, Cabernet, Petite Syrah and Petit Verdot grapes. Their single-vineyard wines include Estate Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and an unpretentious Sauvignon Blanc from the Farina Vineyard of Sonoma Mountain.
Music pairing: Zinfandel with Nine Inch Nails.
4. Banshee Wines, Healdsburg: Three friends, a missed turn, copious amounts of Champagne — and Banshee was born. Since then, Banshee has come a long way in a short time, but their goal hasn’t changed: and that has been to craft distinctive wine that over-delivers in every possible way. Banshee Wines is not your normal wine company. It is a band of wine industry insiders dedicated to producing benchmark wines without cult wine prices. Their focus is on Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon – all produced in an approachable style.
Music pairing: Whatever Pinot Noir they are pouring with Vampire Weekend.
5. Wind Gap: Wind Gap is a small winery from the Santa Cruz Mountains, producing French style wines and primarily known for their Pinot Noir and Syrah wines. The name, Wind Gap, celebrates this force of nature that shapes the wines. The lineup includes Chardonnay, Grenache, Trousseau Gris, Syrah and Pinot Noir, and the wines are sold through a mailing list. eRobertParker.com rated their 2010 Wind Gap Pinot Noir Woodruff Vineyard a 94.
Music pairing: These mountain wines deserve to be paired with a mountain man. Pair with Willie Nelson and Family.
Tickets: Upon checking the ticket sales online, it appears as though the tickets are sold out. If you are still interested in attending and don’t have tickets, I suggest scalping sites or hanging around the gates to see if you can buy a miracle.
Read more of Sherrie’s work at Out And About San Francisco and Wine Country Weekly in the Communities section at the Washington Times. Follow Out and About on Twitter and Facebook for even more inside scoop.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.