What: Green Festival
When: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23; 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 24
Where: Washington Convention Center, 801 Mount Vernon Place, NW, Washington, D.C.
WASHINGTON — Green Festival®, the nation’s largest sustainability event, returns to the Washington Convention Center Oct. 23-24. This year’s Green Festival theme is “Engagement,” with exciting new ways to shop green, be inspired, get engaged and give back.
Community members enjoy informative, insightful speakers, incomparable green shopping, cutting edge eco-innovations, great live music, fun and educational family activities, hands-on workshops, organic wine and beer and delicious, local vegetarian cuisine. Plus, our new admission options are geared to encourage everyone to get engaged in their community with immediate dividends from Green Festival.
Ten stages and pavilions give attendees the opportunity to engage with 125 local experts and nationally-renowned authors, actors, leaders, educators, farmers and visionaries.
Exciting keynote speakers include: Ralph Nader • Amy Goodman • Gilberto Gil • Patti Moreno • Reverend Lennox Yearwood, Jr.• Dean Baker • Bernardine Dorhn • Bill Ayers • Ibrahim Abdul-Matin • Daniel Pinchbeck •Goumbri •Tracy McQuirter and many more.
“Green Festival has something for everyone,” says Green Festival Board Member and Green America Director, Denise Hamler. “Whether you go to shop, learn, try new organic foods or experience art and music, this event has it all, with the goal to motivate every person to think, participate and make more planet-friendly, sustainable choices in their every day lives.”
Green Festival highlights include:
- Green Business Seminars at the Green Business Pavilion — the latest on financing for growth, marketing and new media, public policy and green trends, ethical sourcing and partnering for success.
- Green Lifestyle — practical tips for everyday life and innovations ranging from green products to green building and organic foods.
- Mother Earth News Fair Stage – workshops and ‘DIY’ presentations from the best loved topics of their magazine and fair, including urban chicken raising, cheese making at home, seed swap exchange and growing and using herbs.
- Fair Trade Pavilion — how fair-trading your home, workplace and community with coffee, home furnishings, chocolate, rice and textiles can make a world of difference.
- Better World Pavilion — critical issues and solutions in communities to effectively implement and support sustainable networks.
- Vegetarian Food Court — organic cuisine from local restaurants, organic beer and wine garden and fair trade organic coffee bar.
- Green Home and Energy Pavilion — demonstrations of practical skills for personal and household sustainability from solar energy to composting and green home improvements.
- Music – live music and spoken word.
- Yoga and Movement Sessions – opportunities to relax and focus the body and mind.
- Eco Fashion Show — showcase of eco-conscious fashion designers, make-up artists and hairstylists. (presented by EFFACA.)
- Annie’s Green Kids’ Zone — activities and storytelling for the whole family.
The new admission options are geared to encourage community members to engaging with local nonprofit organizations for free tickets to Green Festival.
Get in free to Green Festival by giving back to your local community. Volunteer or donate to: Green America • Global Exchange • Capitol Hill Arts Workshop • Greater Washington Interfaith and Light • National Children’s Museum • Capital Area Food Bank •Anacostia Watershed Society • American Rights At Work • the Washington Area Bicyclist Association
To purchase tickets to Green Festival or for more information about new ways to get free tickets or shopping money, visit http://greenfestivals.org.
Adam is a Reiki Master, certified Health and Lifestyle counselor, Licensed Massage Therapist, 20 year practicing bramana initiated Bhakti Yogi, Spiritual advisor, visionary, jock and veteran of the “hardcore punk scene” all rolled into one. Adam is the founder of Omkara World and produced the mind/body fitness DVD “Intelligent Fitness.”
Click here for Adam’s past article archive.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.