New questions on CIA programs after Lady’s arrest, release

Former CIA base chief Robert Seldon Lady, arrested then released in Panama, is wanted in Italy for his role in an 'extraordinary rendition.' Photo: ap

WEST PALM BEACH, July 20, 2013 – Less than 24 hours after Panamanian officials detained former CIA Milan base chief Robert Seldon Lady, he was on a plane returning to the United States.

According to U.S. State Department officials, Panamanian authorities released Lady and he boarded a US-bound flight on Friday. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf confirmed Lady was returning to the US. She said she was unaware of any conversations between U.S. officials and Panamanian officials concerning Lady.


SEE RELATED: Edward Snowden and some other famous 20th century traitors


On Thursday, Panamanian authorities detained Lady near Panama’s border with Costa Rica. Details of his detention have not been released.

The Italian government has issued an international arrest warrant in connection with his conviction his 2009 conviction for his role in the “extraordinary rendition” of an Egyptian cleric in Milan, but it is also unclear whether Italy requested his extradition from Panama.

In 2009, an Italian court convicted Lady and 22 other Americans – all but one CIA officers or contractors – in abstentia for their role in the 2003 abduction of Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr from Milan. According to court documents, CIA officers and Italian officials picked Abu Omar off the Milan streets on his way to noon prayers, threw him into a CIA van and drove him to the U.S. Air Force base in Italy. He then was flown to several other U.S. military bases, ultimately ending in Egypt, where he claims he was tortured.

The U.S. considered Omar a terrorism suspect and alleged he had information on terrorist activities and plots. They suspected him of recruiting militants and involvement in terrorist plots.


SEE RELATED: PRISM NSA leaker Edward Snowden’s gross miscalculation


The 22 Americans appealed the conviction last year, and the sentences were upheld. The Americans did not appear in court and only two of them ever communicated with their attorneys.

Italian Courts found that Italy’s secret services were complicit in the operation, and sentenced former intelligence chief, Nicolo Pollari, to 10 years in prison. His deputy was sentenced to nine years, ad three other officials received six years. However, they are free pending an appeal.  

The Italians argue that the security services, and the CIA, received approval from the government of then-Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

In April, Italian President Giorgio Napolitano pardoned U.S. Air Force Colonel Joseph L. Romano for his involvement in the case.


SEE RELATED: Benghazi v. Dick Holm: The CIA, loyalty, and Leave No Man Behind


Italian officials also reportedly offered Lady a plea deal if he agreed to provide details on the operation. Lady refused to hand over classified information.

Lady has, however, stated that he opposed the operation because, he said, it was “superfluous.” The Italians were already surveilling Abu Omar, and Lady believed they would collect needed information on their own.

Critics say Lady and his colleagues need to be held responsible for their actions.

Others, however, note that the CIA appeared to have followed protocol in the case, receiving approval from both U.S. and Italian officials.

“This was not a rogue CIA operation,” says one former Agency officer familiar with the operation, “These guys had a finding and had approval. They weren’t acting on their own.”

An article by Matthew Cole in GQ last year appears to support that view. According to Cole, Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice personally approved the operation when she served as President George Bush’s National Security Advisor.

Lady, a 24-year CIA veteran, had planned to retire in Italy at the end of his Milan tour. He had purchased a farm in Penango, a small town in northern Italy, and lovingly restored it and decorated it with antiques and family heirlooms.

Currently, however, he cannot return to Italy or will face arrest. He does, however, continue to pay his $4,000 a month mortgage on the property in hopes that one day he can return.

Sources close to Lady say he desperately misses his farm and Italy, and continues to believe he did nothing wrong. He says the CIA was “…the greatest job I ever had” although he is reportedly bitter over lack of government support during the trial.

He still reportedly hopes to return to Italy, although his arrest this week highlights just how unlikely that is.

The CIA officially had no comment on Lady’s arrest in Panama or his return to the United States.

 

Connect with Lisa on Google +


This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

More from Intelligence and World Affairs
 
blog comments powered by Disqus
Lisa M. Ruth

Lisa M. Ruth started her career at the CIA, where she won several distinguished awards for her service and analysis.  After leaving the government, she joined a private intelligence firm in South Florida as President, where she oversaw all research, analysis and reporting.

Lisa joined CDN as a journalist in 2009 and writes extensively on intelligence, world affairs, and breaking news. She also provides investigative reporting and news analysis. Lisa continues to write both for her own columns and as a guest writer on a wide variety of subjects, and is now Executive Editor for CDN and edits the Global, Family and Health sections.  She is also a regular contributor to Newsmax and other publications.

Contact Lisa M. Ruth

Error

Please enable pop-ups to use this feature, don't worry you can always turn them off later.

Question of the Day
Featured
Photo Galleries
Popular Threads
Powered by Disqus