* With his two goals over Valladolid to help Barcelona retain the Spanish league title, Argentine ace Lionel Messi was able to match the club scoring record set by Brazil forward Ronaldo. Messi scored 34 goals in La Liga play this season and his total in all competitions to 47. Ronaldo had 34 goals for Barcelona in the 1996-97 season.
* The Washington Freedom (3-2-1) beat the Atlanta Beat’s on the road 2-0 on Saturday. The victory marks Freedom’s first win on the road this season and their second consecutive shutout. Lene Mykjåland and Abby Wambach got the Freedom goals.
* After earning its first win of the season over the Portland Timbers recently, Crystal Palace Baltimore slipped back into its losing ways when it lost 2-1 in Austin on Saturday. Lance Watson and Jamie Watson got the goals for the Texas outfit, while Matthew Mbuta scored forBaltimore. Palace will close out its five-game road trip with a game at Rochester on Wednesday night. The game kicks off at 7:00 p.m. at Marina Auto Stadium. Palace drop to 1-4-1 while Austin boast the best record in the USSF D-2 Pro League at 4-1-1 while. It was Baltimore’s first loss in three games.
* According to Reuters news wire, Iraqi security forces have arrested a Saudi al-Qaeda member who an official said on Monday was involved in a plot to attack next month’s World Cup soccer tournament in South Africa
* Real Salt Lake forward Álvaro Saborío was voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for Week 8 for the 2010 MLS season. Saborío supplied two goals in Real Salt Lake’s 3-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Thursday, May 13 at home at Rio Tinto Stadium.
* Former President Bill Clinton will serve as the honorary chairman of the United States’ bid to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup. Clinton was in office when the United States hosted the 1994 World Cup and the 1999 Women’s World Cup, attending games at both events. FIFA will announce the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments on Dec. 2.
* Zachary Herold has ended his soccer career at 17 because of a heart condition. Herold is a defender for Toronto FC who also has made 15 appearances for the U.S. under-17 team.
* The Russian soccer federation hired Dick Advocaat as new coach of the national team on Monday. The Dutchman’s task is to qualify Russia for the finals of the European championships in 2012 and the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.