Now that St. Patrick’s Day is over, and usually there’s quite a bit left over, use what you’ve got with a few other ingredients to make a fun new meal. These meal ideas can make a great lunch for on the go.
St. Patrick’s Day leftovers-
Quesadillas with Shredded Corned Beef and Pepper Jack Cheese
- Corned beef
- Pepper jack Cheese
- Cilantro Cabbage slaw*
- In a large sauté pan, heat up 1 tbsp canola oil.
- Lightly cook two tortillas on both sides.
- Once they are both slightly crisp, lay one in the sauté pan and top with shredded pepper jack cheese and corned beef and then more pepper jack cheese.
- Place the tortilla on top. Flip tortilla once the bottom tortilla is well toasted.
- Cut into four wedges and serve with cilantro cabbage slaw.
Cilantro and Cabbage Slaw with Lime Juice and Shredded Apples
- ½ tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded purple and green cabbage
- ¼-shredded carrots
- ½ bell pepper julienne
- ¼ apple julienne
- 3 limes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toss everything together.
Sourdough with Shredded Corned Beef Club
- Sourdough bread
- Leftover Corned beef (leftover is one word, check all in your doc)
- Thousand Island dressing
- Rye bread
- Cabbage slaw*
- Iceberg lettuce
- Roma tomato
- Havarti cheese
Cabbage slaw Ingredients
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- Salt and pepper
- Toast all bread
- Begin by slathering both pieces of sourdough toast with Thousand Island dressing.
- Next, place one piece of sourdough (one word) toast down first and top with shredded corned beef and havarti cheese.
- Then, place the toasted rye on top of the havarti cheese.
- Finally, top the rye with corned beef, tomato and cabbage slaw and place the unused sourdough toast sauce side down.
- Put four toothpicks into each corner and slice into quarters.
Corned Beef L T
- Corned beef
- Butter lettuce
- Toasted wheat bread
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and the horseradish.
- Toast the bread
- Smear the horseradish sauce over both sides of the bread and stack shredded corned beef on the bottom, sliced tomato, butter lettuce and top with the other piece of toasted bread.
For more great cooking tips, recipes and stories from Chef Mary, visit her blog. To learn more about Chef Mary, check out her Hail Mary’s Inc. Web site. E-mail questions for Ask Chef Mary Fridays to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the Ask Chef Mary link above.
Check out Chef Mary’s Webisode on You Tube! You also can follow her on Facebook and Twitter!
The information provided is general information about healthy eating. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice or treatment that may have been prescribed by your physician or other health care provider. Always consult a physician before starting any new diet or regimen.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.