CYPRESS, Calif. June 2012—This recipe from Deb Roussou’s book 350 Best Vegan Recipes makes a sophisticated and light-as-a-feather strata well suited for a springtime brunch with delicate herbs of the French countryside.
French herbed strada
(Serves 6 to 10)
To clean leeks: Leeks are grown in sand and are sometimes difficult to clean. A good method of cleaning is to vertically slice through the white and light green leaves, leaving most of the dark green leaves intact. Grasp the leek by the dark green leaves, fan out the bottom white and light green portions, exposing much of the inside of the leek, and run under cold water.
- 10-cup (2.5 L) baking dish, lightly oiled
- Food processor
1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
2 large leeks, thoroughly washed and sliced 2 (see Tip)
8 oz thin asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 250 g 3-inch (7.5 cm) pieces
3 cloves garlic, chopped 3
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 15 mL
1 tsp salt, divided 5 mL
1⁄2 tsp ground black pepper 2 mL
1⁄2 loaf (1 lb/500 g) day-old vegan French 1⁄2 bread, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
1 package (12.3 oz/350 g) firm silken tofu 1
4 oz medium regular tofu 125 g
1 cup plain non-dairy milk 250 mL
1⁄4 cup dry white wine 60 mL
2 tbsp cornstarch 30 mL
2 tsp Dijon mustard 10 mL
1 tsp onion powder 5 mL
1⁄4 tsp ground turmeric 1 mL
1 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves 15 mL
1 tsp herbes de Provence 5 mL
1. Place a large skillet over medium heat and let pan get hot. Add oil and tip pan to coat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add asparagus, garlic, lemon juice, 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) of the salt and pepper and cook until asparagus turns bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in bread and transfer to prepared baking dish.
2. In food processor, combine silken and medium tofu, milk, wine, cornstarch, mustard, onion powder, 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) of salt and turmeric and process until very smooth. Add tarragon and herbes de Provence and process until blended. Pour mixture over vegetables and bread. Cover strata and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight for bread to absorb custard.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
4. Remove strata from refrigerator and allow it to warm to room temperature. Uncover and bake in preheated oven until slightly puffed and firm, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand for 6 to 8 minutes before cutting to serve.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.