LOS ANGELES, January 2012—Sikil Pac, roasted tomatoes and ground pumpkin seed dip, is a wonderful Mexican salsa. It is also completely different from most salsas and not easy to find in restaurants other than Chichén Itzá in Los Angeles.
Chef Gilberto Cetina shares the recipe in his book, Sabores Yucatecos. Once you gather the ingredients , the recipe is not difficult.
(Makes 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup pepitas de calabaza (recipe follows)
3/4 cup chiltomate (recipe follows)
1 chile habanero, roasted and chopped (optional)
1/4 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped (or scallions or green onions)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
In a bowl, mix ingredients and adjust salt. Serve with tortilla chips.
Pepitas de calabaza toastadas sin cáscara, ground toasted hulled pumpkin seeds
(Makes about 1 pound)
1 pound hulled pumpkin seeds
- Heat a comal (griddle or skillet) over medium heat. Spread pumpkin seeds evenly, in one layer, over the bottom. (You may have to do it in batches.)
- Toast the seeds, flipping occasionally with a spatula. The seeds should be golden and crispy and crunchy to the taste.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Place the seeds in a food processor and pulse to a fine grind.
The seeds will keep up to 3 months refrigerated in a tight container.
Chiltomate, roasted tomato sauce
(Makes 2 cups)
10 medium plum tomatoes
1 chile habanero, roasted (optional)
3-4 sprigs cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Roast the tomatoes and chile on a comal (griddle or skillet) over low to medium heat until they are charred on the outside and soft to the touch. If the heat is too high, the tomatoes will not cook through. Let cool.
- Add the tomatoes and chile to a food processor. Pulse into small chunks.
- In a bowl, toss the chopped cilantro and salt with the chunky tomatoes and chile.
Recipes and photos from Sabores Yucatecos: A Culinary Tour of the Yucatán (WPR Books: Comida, 2012), by Chef Gilberto Cetina, Katharine A. Diaz and Gilberto Cetina, Jr.
Linda Mensinga was editor of Culinary Trends for 15 years, now a contributing writer to Great-taste Magazine. If you have a great restaurant, recipe or food you’d like to share please send an email. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please credit “Linda Mensinga for Communities @WashingtonTimes.com” when linking to this story.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.