WASHINGTON, November 16, 2012 — For the last four years, President Obama has been under siege by nearly every conspiracy theorist you ever heard of and some you didn’t even know were out there, floating the latest conspiracy that too often passes for national dialogue.
So why are we not surprised that two new ones have reared their heads in the weeks following his election:
1) President Obama got General David Petraeus to resign so he wouldn’t testify before Congress and reveal what he really knows about Benghazi, and
2) General David Petraeus was asked to delay his resignation so that it wouldn’t embarrass the President before the election and maybe even tip the election to Mitt Romney.
These theories are all over Right wing talk radio and TV and are not likely to go away even after General Petraeus finally testifies before Congress.
But these latest are not even the most flagrant ones out there. Here for your amusement and/or contemplation are six of the wackier theories drifting across the airwaves and Internet:
1. Mind Control: Just before the election, Georgia Republican state senators gathered to hear a four-hour briefing, called Agenda 21, run by their majority party’s leader, Chip Rogers, a Tea Party stalwart, about the latest nefarious trick by President Obama. It turns out Obama has been using a mind control technique called Delphi to compel us to accept his plan for a Communist dictatorship of America by putting our country under the control of the UN. Of course, the President has no such plan, much less being capable of mind-control. Unless…wait a minute…maybe that is why 51% of voters voted to re-elect him.
2. Socialism/Communism: Take your pick. The two concepts are used interchangeably by folks who believe the country is going to hell in a hand basket. Does that mean our safety nets like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security? Or those lifelines to people in need like FEMA? Yep, all are evidence of Socialism/Communism, the twin evils that undermine all that is good about American exceptionalism. It is creeping into the very fabric of our lives, sapping the true American spirit. So like those programs at your risk.
3. Birther Claims: No matter how many birth certificate forms President Obama releases, short or long, or what the state of Hawaii says, Obama was born elsewhere, most likely Kenya. When you have Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio out there with his posse holding press conferences about “evidence” he and his band of merry vigilantes have found, the flames of birtherism burn bright. Then we have the likes of Donald Trump dropping innuendoes right and left, mainly right, about how where there’s smoke, there’s fire, and keeping the birther flames lit, sort of like an eternal flame. Of course, there was no smoke before the conspiracists decided they smelled a fire.
4. A Secret Muslim: Not only is President Obama a closet Muslim on his prayer rug in the White House, he would like to bring 100 Muslims to America to help in the ultimate takeover of the nation. He was raised in the Islamic faith when his mother lived in Indonesia and he went to a madrassa in his formative years, and we all know what that means. If Obama doesn’t turn us Communist, he will hand us over to the mullahs.
Of course, the truth is Obama did live in Indonesia from the time he was 6 till he was 10, where he attended a Catholic school and an Indonesian public school, not a Muslim school, not a madrassa. At 10, he returned to Hawaii where his grandparents took over raising him and sending him to school in his birth state. But still the Islamic storm swirls about Obama. How could it not, given his middle name?
5. Obama’s Arabic wedding ring: Now stir in the latest theory that purports that Obama’s wedding band bears an Arabic/Islamic inscription: “There is no God but Allah.” Ah ha! This little tidbit popped up in early October and is seen as added proof that the President is a secret Muslim. Otherwise why does his wedding ring look like that? Actually, his wedding band is nothing both loops joined together, and Arabic scholars say the loops in no way spells out the Muslim declaration of faith.
But don’t look for that to dissuade any conspiracist. The big question is why would President Obama wear such a ring since he has been a target of Muslim conspiracies once he stepped through the White House door? Oh, I forgot the other premise: Obama is not very smart, despite going to Columbia University and Harvard. He just thinks he’s smart.
6. Obama is un-American: Now not only do theories 1 through 5 prove this, but did you ever notice that he doesn’t wear an American flag in his lapel? Talk about the crime of the century. Of course, any politician worth his salt knows to wear his patriotism on his lapel for us all to see.
What was it that Samuel Johnson said: “Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.” And yes, Johnson in 1775 was referring not to patriotism itself, but self-professed patriots like John Stuart, the prime minister under King George III. Yep, that George the III.
So what better message to send to Obama’s Communist/Socialist/Islamic brethren: I am not for America. In fact, Obama himself explained why he doesn’t proudly flaunt a lapel flag anymore: “I had a pin. Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we’re talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won’t wear that pin on my chest.”
Now who needs any further proof than that?
We are not even into the second term yet, so stand ready for more theories to head our way. The conspiracists are just getting warmed up. What’s next? President Obama is a vampire or the king of the walking? You just never know, do you?
To contact Catherine Poe, see above. Her work appears in Ad Lib at the Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. She can also be heard on Democrats for America’s Future. She is also a contributor to broadcast, print and online media.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities @ WashingtonTimes.com. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING TWTC CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.